Monday, July 6, 2009

You determine your own success

When I set monthly sales goals for my staff, I consider last year's sales, last month's sales, and accounts that they are currently working on. New accounts, out of business accounts, and whether accounts are 'growing' or 'dying' are also taken into consideration.
What I should consider, more than anything is .... How motivated is the salesperson?
When I was an 'up and comer' I wanted to be the best. I wanted to generate more revenue, give the best customer service, and be seen as the 'go to' person when there was a problem that needed to be solved. My motivation was clear: come early, stay late, go the extra mile, think outside the box, early bird gets the worm... It all worked.
When Lance Armstrong started training to race, he determined the speed that previous winners had raced to win. He determined that in order to win, he needed to train himself to ride faster than the previous winners. Sounds simple doesn't it.
If you want to stay with the rest of the pack, then set your cadence to match the pack. If you want to win, train yourself to go faster. Train at a difference cadence. March to the beat of your own drum.
As salespeople, athletes, CEO's, or individuals, you must motivate yourself and determine your own definition of success. As for me, if you consider staying with the pack, a success, I'll ride against you any day.
As for me...No one will work harder than me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment