Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My "I don't get it" list

Submitted by Rhonda Overbey on Wed, 2013-11-13 14:10 Adding to my list of "I don't get it" this week is the public's fascination with Damien Echols. Is it the fact that he was wrongly accused and spent half his life on death row or because celebrities got behind his cause or because Johnny Depp is in talks to play him in a movie or what? I don't get it. There are a lot of people in jail who claim they're innocent. Didn't you see Shawshank? When it comes to celebrities, I can usually spot people try to use their 10 minutes of fame (Octomom) and why the public is fascinated with them (Screech). Oh, yes, I can spot crazy from a mile away. (Undiagnosed crazy. Not speaking clinically of course because my nursing friends don't like when I just toss the word 'crazy' around.) Crazy is fine. It's borderline brilliant - Charles Manson, Jodi Arias, Courtney Love, Gary Busey. Then there's the people who aren't crazy, just weird - Miley Cyrus, Carrot Top, Angelina Jolie, Marilyn Manson. And then there's the whole separate category of, who cares? - Weird Al, Johnny Knoxville, Charlie Sheen. Echols definitely falls closer to the just weird end of my sliding scale but I'm not sure what will come of his fame just yet. It's too soon. Here are the ones on the fence for me at the moment: Honey Boo Boo Lady Gaga and now Damien Echols
Depp with enough talent to play all three of the WM3 I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment