Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Springs, Shoals and Stevie Nicks

Just when you think you've heard all the Arkansas springs: Hot, Heber, Eureka, Elm, Gum, Siloam, Whelen, Valley, Mammoth, Warm, Sulpher and Witts. (No need to check me, I'm sure I left some off the list.) I found another one: Ravenden Springs, Arkansas. Can any other state claim this many 'springs'? My favorite town names are the biblical names. Don't try to match them up with scriptures though, the towns can't live up to the hype. Jerusalem, Mt Olive, Mt Judea, Zion and, my favorite, Promise Land, Arkansas. Speaking of hype, poor underachieving Nashville and Paris, right? I recently ran across a new 'shoal' - Tumbling Shoals. Most of us have heard of Bull Shoals but I didn't realize we had a Tumbling Shoals in Arkansas too. What's a shoal? Webster's says the definition of SHOAL is 1: shallow; 2: a sandbank or sandbar that makes the water shallow. So, now we all know. Sadly, my favorite springs - Silver Springs - made famous by Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks when she and Lindsey Buckingham ended their relationship, was about place in Maryland. Here's one I left off the Arkansas list: Black Springs. I'm sure you'll think of others. Submitted by Rhonda Overbey on Tue, 2014-02-25 13:18

No comments:

Post a Comment